AXIOM Beta Firmware Version 2.0
1 Prepare Micro SD Card
- Get a new Micro SD card (4GB is enough, bigger is fine as well, but the partitions are not yet automatically resized when a bigger SD card is detected).
- Acquire the latest automatically built firmware image from: https://github.com/apertus-open-source-cinema/axiom-beta-firmware/releases - don't be alarmed by the name "Unstable Development Snapshot" it just means the firmware has been automatically built without human interaction.
- Download, install and start Etcher: https://www.balena.io/etcher/
- Flash the acquired image to a new Micro SD card with Etcher (we highly recommend not overwriting the Micro SD card you currently use in your AXIOM Beta).
- After flashing put the Micro SD card into the AXIOM Beta Microzed SD card slot and power up the Beta.
This new firmware is still in development so expect issues and bugs.
This is the list of current issues/bugs: https://github.com/apertus-open-source-cinema/axiom-beta-firmware/issues
If you find a new bug or have ideas for improvement please add it as github issue (please first check it has not been reported yet).
- Default user is now operator and password: axiom
- Sudo is required to change system/camera settings (like running the various scripts)
- All camera related programs and scripts are now prefixed with
axiom-(for example to run
axiom-set_gain.sh). They are now executable from anywhere.
kick_manual.shwas renamed to
halt_manual.shwas renamed to
cmv_snap3was renamed to
axiom-sequencer-start.shstarts the continuous image acquisition (HDMI output).
axiom-sequencer-stop.shstops the continuous image acquisition (HDMI output).
- For example :
./cmv_snap3 -e 20ms -zis now done by typing
sudo axiom-snap -e 20ms -z
- For example :
- Image build log is located in each image under:
- Devicetree source can be found at
/boot/devicetree.dts. To recompile it after any changes use
dtc -O dtb -o /boot/devicetree.dtb /boot/devicetree.dts
- To interrupt the autoboot from u-boot send
Ctrl-Cover serial quickly after a boot / reboot (try holding it down)
axiom-file-check.shdoes an integrity check of /usr, /etc and /opt
- Binaries are linked in:
- Scripts are linked in:
/opt/axiom-firmwarecontains scripts and binaries
- Every AXIOM Beta currently has the same MAC address - a random one should be generated on the first boot, but this is not implemented yet.
- Second Micro SD card slot is enabled by default.
- Factory Calibration Routines have been forked for firmware 2.0: Factory_Calibration_(firmware_2.0)
2.1 FPGA Bitstreams
- FPGA bitstreams are located in
/usr/lib/firmwareand softlinked to from
- *.bit files (from old firmware) need to be converted to *.bin files (for new firmware) with:
/opt/axiom-firmware/makefiles/in_chroot/to_raw_bitstream.py -f input_file.bit output_file.bin
- make sure to load new bitstreams as root (
sudo su) and not with
echo axiom-fpga-main.bin | sudo tee /sys/class/fpga_manager/fpga0/firmware
- AXIOM Beta main page.
2.1.1 Switch HDMI Modes (50p/60p <-> 25p/30p)
Create a copy of axiom-start.sh with a new name eg. axiom-start30.sh.
In it replace this line:
echo axiom-fpga-main.bin > /sys/class/fpga_manager/fpga0/firmware
by this line (choosing appropriate files: _30 for 25P/30p or _60 for 50p/60p modes):
echo cmv_hdmi3_dual_30.bin > /sys/class/fpga_manager/fpga0/firmware
copy /opt/bitstreams/cmv_hdmi3_dual_30.bin to /lib/firmware
execute the new script: