3D Printer Evaluation
For prototyping evaluated available 3D printer in Nov 2014. We are mainly looking into SLA/SLS type printers.
1 What is available today
1.1 Atum 3D Printer V1
- with linear guide and high quality ball screw
- FullHD beamer
- Standard x,y resolution 45-100 microns
- Best Z-resolution 15 microns
- not open source/open hardware
We bought the Atum 3D V1 in the end - the hardware is quite well done but the software/slicer and support are quite terrible.
1.2 Formlabs Form 1+
- print volume 125x125x165mm
- 300 microns min feature size
- PreForm software (Windows and MacOS only)
1.3 B9 Creator
- self-assembly kit: 3490$, assembled: 5495$
- print volume :
At the 100 micron x/y pixels setting, the build area is 102.4 mm (4.03″) x 76.8 mm (3.02″) x 206.4 mm (8.125″). At the 75 micron x/y pixels setting, the build area is 76.8 mm (3.02″) x 57.6 mm (2.27″) x 206.4 mm (8.125″). At the 50 micron x/y pixels setting, the build area is 51.2 mm (2.02″) x 38.4 mm (1.52″) x 206.4 mm (8.125″).
- open hardware and free software
- 50/75/100 microns min feature size
- Included projector: 1024x768
1.4 Muve DLP Printer
http://www.muve3d.net/press/product/muve-1-dlp/ 2000$ Firmware Open Source 192x108x180mm print volume
Kit without beamer for 1000$
With FullHD Beamer for 2100$
update for precise z-axis 300$ (still in Beta preorders) - current z-axis solution produces problems
some parts are made of PLA and are not very durable, they will be replaced with metal parts some time
1.5 3dsystems ProJet 1200
- print volume 43 x 27 x 150mm (too small for us)
- 585 dpi resolution
- build dimensions 180 x 135 x 170 mm (7.1 x 5.3 x 6.7 inch)
- printing resolution 0.1mm, minimum wall thickness 0.3mm
- accuracy x/y/z 0.175/0.175/0.1 mm
- printing software developed by Trimaker, only available for Windows and MacOS
1.7 HA 50 uv
- build volume 105x59x90 mm
- "open system architecture"
1.8 The Titan 1
- build volume: 70mm x 40mm x 240mm at 37 micron resolution, 192mm x 108mm x 240mm at 100 micron resolution.
- speed xy:50μm and z:100μm resolution is about 2.7 inches / hr and 1.3 inches / hr for xyz:100μm resolution
Only preorders, expected to start shipping in Nov
- 2750 $
- build volume 177x177x228 mm (7"x7"x9")
- built-in Linux-based computer
2 sources for consumables
Most printers operate on the same principle. The Image is projected on the base of a transparent receptacle where the hardened resin tends to stick on. So the surface is coated with transparent silicone.
B9 creator moves the reservoir left and right
Atum3d pulls the build platform out on the Z-axis of the resin bath and puts it back in.
mUVe 1 has a "Dual-Motor Tilting Peel System" which tilts the build platform
Titan 1 has a patented "Flexible resin container" which bends when the z-axis is rising
For electronics the Arduino based RAMPS boards from Reprap project is very common using a modified Marlin firmware.
As 3D Printing software Creation Workshop from envisionlabs is often used.